Beginners guide to home heating oil and oil central heating
If you are about to buy or move into a home which uses home heating oil you can find out all you need to know about home heating oil at BoilerJuice.com. As the leading heating oil website in the UK we are happy to share our knowledge and have created our beginners guide to using home heating oil. As this may be the first time of using an oil home heating system, there are a few basic questions to what you need to know before you order.
What do you need to know before ordering domestic heating oil?
Summary of questions to ask the previous owner / estate agent / landlord:
- What type of oil does the boiler use? (Usually Standard Kerosene 28 but might be Gas Oil)
- Ask to see proof of the last service. (Was it by an OFTEC approved technician)
- Find out how to restart the boiler and how to isolate the oil tank supply.
- What efficiency rating / age is the boiler? (Does it need replacing?)
- How long does 500 litres usually last in autumn/winter?
- What is the capacity of the oil tank?
- How much oil is in the tank and roughly how much would fill the tank?
- Have they had a problem with oil theft locally? (Is a lock or tank alarm fitted?)
- Does the tank have an ultrasonic gauge or older float gauge? (TIP: They arenít 100% accurate)
- When is the best time to order and when not to order?
If you havenít completed the sale / contract you could try using some of the points above to beat the seller down on their price.
Do you have any unanswered questions, visit our new to oil blog and ask members of the BoilerJuice community.